I started on a new project a few weeks ago and thought it would be a good idea to share a checklist for what new testers on a project need and some good starting questions when you, as a tester, are new on a project
Checklist for what new testers on a project need (Note, your project may not include all of the below)
- Access to test environments
- Access to instant messaging groups
- Added to the correct channels within the IM groups
- Access to the bug tracking tool
- Access to the test tools
- Access to email
- Team wiki
- Time-tracking system (applies if tester is a contractor/consultant)
- Version Control e.g. Git
- Someone to do a handover/introduction
- Access to the shared folders
- *Access to the database
Some starting questions you can use, if you are new to a project (This isn’t an exhaustive list; only a starting point)
- How reliable are they? (this could help when it comes to raising bugs only to find they are environment issues)
- Do people’s actions affect others? (how are environments shared?)
- How do you set up test environments?
- Who do I speak to if I have questions about XXXX?
- (To buddy/mentor) who do you think I should meet?
- Who do I report to?
- How do bugs get classified? (e.g. Area of Product)
- What to do if you don’t know how to classify? (is there a misc area)
- Can you show me how to raise bugs in bug tracking tool? (some tools need more explaining than others, especially when it comes to filling in certain fields of the system)
- How is testing done here?
- Who decides how testing is done? (the tester; test lead; test manager)
- Are there any testing team meetings? (These might be outside the product team meetings – it depends on your definition of team)
- *What tests does the team currently have? (both automated and manual tests)